Wednesday, 23 January 2013

Little White Lies

Tonight I'm thinking about the little lies we as parents tell our kids. My husband is sick right now so today I had a good talk with Little Man about germs and how we were going to stay clear of Daddy until he was better so we didn't get sick as well. So at bedtime he asks me in his sweet way if I would like to sleep in his bed with him "for the whole night" so I didn't get any of daddy's germs. He can be pretty clever. He loves it when I lay in his bed with him, so a little sleepover would be the greatest thing ever. I told him I would, partly because I wanted him to settle down and go to bed, and partly because I thought I might really do it. But I'm not going to. Tomorrow I will likely tell him that I did sleep in his bed, but he was sleeping so he didn't notice. I think to a certain extent it's necessary to have these little white lies we tell our kids. It protects them right? From being hurt, or being confused, by things they can't really comprehend yet. I always feel badly though, it feels weird to not be honest with them when I expect it in return from them without exception. Hmm.... food for thought anyhow. What little white lies have you told your kids, and how do you feel about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment