Monday, 21 January 2013

Staying at Home

I realize that to childless people, I probably seem pretty boring. In fact I've even been told that I'm not a very interesting person to talk to. Ouch. That stings, and I'll tell you why. I'm busy. My day is full, and my mind is constantly in overdrive. I'm a stay at home parent by choice, my husband and I make a lot of sacrifices so that I can raise my kids at home, and that means a lot to me. I'll admit my preoccupations are almost entirely on the kids, but that's ok, call me a workaholic.
I'm constantly planning for them and worrying about and considering whether they got enough sleep, if they're eating well enough, if they watch too much tv, if we stay home too much, if we go out too much, if I'm giving them enough attention, if I'm giving them enough space, if they are learning enough reading, writing, arithmetic to be in a good position come school time, if they washed their hands often enough today, if they brushed their teeth well enough, if they ate enough, if they had enough water, if the other kids at play group are being nice to them, if they are being nice to the other kids at play group, if they spend enough time with their dad, if they do enough chores, if they do too many chores, if I'm teaching them bad habits by cleaning up after them, if they're doing well enough at potty training as their peers, if that rash has cleared up yet, if there's enough diapers/wipes/food/bubble bath/etc etc etc (to infinity!) to make it through one more day, and if there's not enough of something, is there enough money in the bank to get it, and then, of course, I put them to bed and sit on the floor outside the door of The Princess' bedroom and worry about whether I'm handling this sleep training thing the right way. Phew- I'm exhausted just typing all that, no wonder I'm tired at the end of the day!
So it's hard to accept that while I'm planning meals, activities, building schedules, prepping crafts, making math games and devouring any reading materials I can find on sleep problems that all my effort and time and worry and concern is labelled as boring to others. Yes I stay at home, yes all I have to talk about are my kids, but that's ok- my kids are pretty damned important and pretty freakin' awesome, they deserve to have all my attention. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment