Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Magic Mommy

This morning I took Little Man and The Princess to a nearby play group. And by "nearby", I mean I've timed it and it's literally a 7-8 minute drive.

Sometimes I swear we go to playgroup just for a change of place to eat snack. The kids begged for food like they hadn't been fed in years the entire drive there. They have a special knack for making 7 minutes feel like an eternity...

So we arrive and within the two hour playgroup they manage to each eat a fruit cup, a cereal bar, a half a cup of alphabet pretzels, a half a cup of goldfish crackers, and one of those small 100 calorie baggies of cookies. They cleaned out my diaper bag of not only the snack I'd packed, but also most of my dry "emergency" snacks that live in the bag full time. Man those kids can eat. I swear they're part billy goat (on their father's side, of course).

Play group ends just before lunch time, so we always go straight home and eat (yet again). I should mention here that it's a crisp -24 degrees Celsius here today, so we were super bundled in hats and mitts and the whole shebang today. No sooner had we hit the road home than Little Man asks for.... You guessed it... A snack! This is how our conversation went:

Little Man: "I want a snack!!!! Pleeeeeeeeeassssse!!"

Me: "Sorry bud, but we're out of snacks. We're heading home for lunch right now."

Little Man: "NO! I want a snack NOW!!"

Me: "Excuse me, that's very rude. No snack."

Little Man: "Get me a snack RIGHT NOW pleeeeeeeeease!!!!" (Apparently adding an exaggerated please to the end of a righteous demand makes it less rude... )

Me: "Little Man. We are out. of. snacks. I cannot make snacks magically appear out of thin air!"

Little Man: "Oh."

I wait. He's quiet. We drive home. Did he really think I WAS capable of magically making snacks appear out of thin air? Maybe in three year old land that is something Mommy can do. Telling him that I couldn't seemed to immediately satisfy him.

Needless to say, as we approached home and he noted that it had stopped snowing, and, beginning to get upset, asked me to make the snow come back, I was quick to tell him that I'm not able to make snow magically appear out of thin air.

No comments:

Post a Comment